Did you know that March is pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month: This year it is March 17th- 23rd
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call 1-888-426-4435. A $65.00 consultation fee will be applied to your credit card.
I think one of the misconceptions is that Veterinarians know EVERY potential danger of anything your pet may have come into contact with. I know that most people are a little shocked when they call us after their pet just eaten (for example) their own blood pressure medications and the first thing we tell them to do is call poison control center. The reason we do this is because poison control has all the information on any medication, chocolate, rat poison, etc. They are able to talk to you about exactly what your pet ate, what the potential toxicity levels are, if your pet needs treatment and what that treatment needs to be. If possible have the EXACT brand information on the item ingested. This will only help them get you answers on the toxicity levels faster.
I know the price is also a little shocking for that information. But think about it this way, if it saves you from having to see the Veterinarian it really is worth it. I know first hand, when your pet eats mouse poison on a Sunday night at 8pm, your Veterinarian is closed and you are in a full on panic, it is very nice to call Pet Poison Control for the answers you need. It was worth the price to me.
Information provided by ASPCA and Pet Poison Helpline